PhD Program admission process
PhD programs 2023-2027 application dates:
November 1, 2022
June 3, 2023
For doctoral programs
an appropriate master’s or specialist degree, or its equivalent, from an accredited university.
As we receive more applications each year from excellent candidates than we have places available, meeting the minimum admissions requirement does not necessarily guarantee admission.
Successful applicants have generally received previous education and training in fields relevant to our program
All applicants must demonstrate proficiency in English, the language of instruction at Skoltech. A score of 80 on the TOEFL iBT, 450 on the TOEFL ITP or 6 on the IELTS is desired. The language certificate should be valid – it is valid for 2 years after the test is passed. TOEFL or IELTS score is not required if applicant received a university English-language degree. No exceptions are made to this policy and only TOEFL and IELTS scores are accepted. Skoltech’s institutional code for the TOEFL iBT is 2909.
Submission of a General GRE score is not a requirement of the Skoltech application. However, a high score may enhance your application. For further information on the GRE, please visit the ETS website for test locations, dates, and times. Skoltech’s institutional code for the GRE is 1294.
The Skoltech offers an online application to make the process quick and simple for potential students. Before beginning the application, we advise that you carefully read the application instructions, requirements, and deadlines for your chosen academic program.
CV, 2 letters of recommendation, and motivation letter. Submission of either TOEFL or IELTS test results is required by “Selection Weekend”. Applicants who did not get a chance to take any of these official tests will be able to take the TOEFL ITP during “Selection Weekend” at Skoltech.
To be eligible for the Ph.D. program, by the time of enrollment at Skoltech, applicants should hold a M.Sc. degree or equivalent (specialist degree) from a recognized institution of higher education and in a relevant area of study.
Application to Skoltech consists of two stages:
Stage 1. Application at Skoltech’s online portal
Applications to the Ph.D. program are accepted at this page. As part of the process, applicants must present the following:
- Motivation letter
- Proof of proficiency in English, i.e. TOEFL or IELTS (students may submit an application without this information, but all will be asked to provide it at a later date)
- 2 Recommendation letters
- Research proposal
- Copy of transcripts, in English (and original language) of all higher education institutions attended. In the application phase, copies will be sufficient, but official copies must be provided at a later date
- Optional: results of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- As part of the admission process, applicants should indicate the Skoltech faculty member(s) with whom they wish to pursue doctoral studies. Applicants may review the Skoltech faculty profiles before beginning the online application on the web page of each PhD Program and get in touch (via e-mail) with the faculty member
Stage 2. Selection Days
During Selection Days, participants go through interviews and an English test (for those who don’t have TOEFL or IELTS certificate). Invitations to Selection Days are reserved for those students who submitted the strongest online applications
The Skoltech MSc and PhD programs provide a multidisciplinary educational experience in brand-new facilities with world-class professors with international exchange opportunities with no tuition fee and one goal: to prepare students to impact Russia and the world and foster socio-economic development through scientific discovery and technological innovation.
- Courses and supervision by world-renowned scientists and engineers
- All educational programs delivered in English. English is our language of instruction and official business
- Wide range of courses; individual study plan that allows students to obtain modern education with the broad interdisciplinary component. Possibility to choose between fundamental and applied profiles within the program
- Open dynamic international environment bringing together hundreds of scientists, engineers, and entrepreneurs with serious ambitions. Students and professors from more than 25 countries study and teach at Skoltech
- Cross-curriculum double-degree programs and network educational programs with leading Russian universities, wide opportunity to attend different courses in these universities inside the curriculum
- Opportunity to perform research and learn the best practice in world-leading universities, laboratories, participate in international conferences, variety of academic mobility programs. More than 1/3 of our students perform research or an educational component in Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Tel Aviv University, University of Calgary, Harvard Medical School, National University of Singapore, and other world-leading universities
- Integration of research, education, and innovation. Culture of supporting student startups
- “Student package”: significant stipends and free medical insurance