With a keen focus on emerging areas the CEST concentrates on the following:
Thrust 1. ELECTROCHEMICAL ENERGY STORAGE
Research groups led by Prof. K. Stevenson, Prof. A. Abakumov, Prof. E. Antipov, Prof. A. Korsunsky, Prof. P. Troshin, Prof. A. Zhugayevych, Prof. V. Nikitina, Prof. S. Fedotov
- Anion redox processes in cathodes for Li-ion batteries.
- Protective coatings on the Li-rich NMC-type cathodes.
- New mixed polyanion compounds for reversible Li intercalation.
- Organic cathode materials for lithium and sodium batteries.
- Advanced electrolytes for metal-ion systems.
- Exploring potassium-ion batteries.
- Making Safer Li-ion Batteries: Protective Coating of High Capacity. Cathode Materials Using Heterometallic Single-Source Precursor.
- Novel mixed polyanion cathode materials for metal-ion batteries.
- Nanoarchitectured fluorophosphate cathode & phosphorene-based hybrid anode for sodium-ion batteries.
- Redox Flow Batteries aqueous and non-aqueous.
Thrust 2. ELECTROCHEMICAL ENERGY CONVERSION
Research groups led by Prof. K. Stevenson, Prof. A. Abakumov, Prof. E. Antipov, Prof. P. Troshin, Prof. V. Nikitina, Prof. G. Sukhorukov
- Alkaline metal oxide catalysts for water oxidation and oxygen reduction.
- Alkaline regenerative fuel cells.
Thrust 3. SOLAR ENERGY CONVERSION AND STORAGE
Research groups led by Prof. K. Stevenson, Prof. P. Troshin, Prof. A. Zhugayevych, Prof. S. Tretiak.
- Design of organic and hybrid solar cells with predefined and stable active layer morphology.
- Improved stability and performance in highly efficient lead-free hybrid perovskite solar cells.
- Understanding the dependence of charge transport on morphology in organic semiconductor films.
Thrust 4. SMART GRIDS: SYSTEMS AND DEVICES
Research groups led by Prof. J. Bialek, Prof. A. Bischi, Prof. H. Ouerdane, Prof. A. Dymarsky, Prof. P. Vorobev, Prof. E. Gryazina, Prof. D. Pozo, Prof. F. Ibanez.
- Electricity Grids (architectures, reliability, stability and flexibility).
- Energy efficiency; energy efficient buildings and urban systems; biophysics.
- Variable renewable energy (concentrated solar power, wind power).
- Energy storage (medium, large), fuel cells and hydrogen, power electronics.
Thrust 5. ENERGY MARKETS AND REGULATION
Research groups led by Prof. J. Bialek, Prof. E. Gryazina, Prof. D. Pozo.
- Operation and planning strategies based on game theory analysis;
- Energy Systems Planning for Government Regulations: New Formulations, Models and Algorithms;
- Market mechanisms for integrated energy systems;
- Policy analysis and market mechanisms for demand response Power Supergrid (Energy Ring) in North-East Asia;
- Market design within decentralization trend: a feasibility study for new technologies in the Russian power industry.
Cross-cutting Thrust. COMPUTATIONAL ENERGY MATERIALS
Research groups led by Prof. A. Oganov, Prof. A. Zhugayevych, Prof. A. Buchachenko, Prof. S. Tretiak, Prof. A. Shapeev, Prof. S. Levchenko, Prof. Xavier Gonze
- New materials for organic and hybrid electronics.
- Methods development for materials modeling.
- Modeling of stability, structure and spectra of atoms and small molecules in inert gas crystals.
- Computational materials
- Computational materials scholars program of excellence
Please, visit also the page with the Publications and Partners, to get more information about the research within CEST CREI.