The Center for Experimental and Digital Certification of Materials and Advanced Performance Structures was created to:
- Ensure the safety of products of advanced manufacturing technologies
- Reduce the time and cost of its confirmation
- Increase the global competition at the technology market
Сonsists of two main research facilities: Advance 3D Printing lab, and Thermal Spraying facility.
- Several high tech 3D printing equipment capable of production of variety components and tools from Metals, Ceramics, Polymers, and Composites are available for researchers, students, and faculties to expand their knowledge in the area of additive manufacturing.
- A variety of thermal spray deposition equipment such as Air Plasma Spraying (APS), High Velocity Oxygen Fuel (HVOF), Cold Spraying, and Wire Arc systems are available for deposition of all types of materials on the surface of engineering components and tools.
Researchers in the Center will develop new fundamental mathematical approaches, computational methods and software that are both broadly applicable and solve specific problems of Advanced Manufacturing.
Original theoretical and applied research in the areas of micro- and nano-manufacturing that are related to process innovation, accuracy and precision, throughput enhancement, material utilization, compact equipment development, environmental and life-cycle analysis and predictive modeling of manufacturing processes with feature sizes less than one hundred micrometers.
- Development and identification of constitutive material models
- Development and support of experimental methods for verification of virtual multiscale simulation models of structural materials and subcomponents
- Experimental provision of certification of advanced performance structures
- Support of Skoltech educational programs
- Service testing lab
Lab.6 Thermal Spray
Thermal spraying facility at Skoltech will introduce:
- Capabilities of thermal spraying technology for advanced surface protection.
- Near net shape forming by thermal spraying as an advanced manufacturing route. Methods can also be classified as additive manufacturing.
- Nano-coating technologies.
- Corrosion protection.