The Center was established in May 2015 by uniting independent Skoltech faculty with common interest in data intensive biomedical and biotechnological research and applications. Our Center NEWS and EVENTS.
CREI director – Konstantin Severinov
Over the coming five years, CDIB’s mission will be:
Research in the Center develops in the following main directions:
Current and ongoing research projects include:
Completed research projects:
STRIP 1 (A Platform Approach to Develop New Antibiotic Leads Based on Microcins). As a result of project implementation preclinical trials of three peptide antibiotics developed in the Severinov laboratory have been performed.
STRIP 2 (Development of Personal Genetic Screening System). A customized microarray-based platform for detection of cardiologic diseases has been developed.
Ongoing research projects
1. Regulation of Brain Aging: mapping and regulatory changes in human brain transcriptome and epigenome during aging. Project leader P.Khaitovich.
2. Study of organisation of neuronal response mechanisms in primates, rodents and invertebrates brain. Project leader P.Khaitovich.
3. Development of oilseeds expedited selection technology based on high-throughput methods for genotyping and molecular phenotyping to ensure food security of Russian Federation. Project leader P.Khaitovich.
4. Big Neuro Data processing infrastructure to support new NeuroNet markets development (CoBrain-Analitycs). Project leader P.Khaitovich.
5. Agricultural Development Program – Project leaders P.Khaitovich, K.Severinov, G.Bazykin
6. Search and Development of New Genome Editing Tools for Biomedicine and Biotechnology. Project leader K.Severinov. In this joint project with Feng Zhang lab novel CRISPR-Cas systems are being uncovered by bioinformatics means, validated experimentally, and assessed for genome editing applications
Center faculty was responsible for establishment of Skoltech Masters program in Biotechnology and Ph.D. programs in Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics, and Biotechnology. Most of the current Skoltech Master and Ph.D. students in the general area of the life sciences are affiliated with the center and work under the supervision of Center faculty. Our students publish numerous papers in top scientific journals and many perform individual applied R&D projects supported by UMNIK program grants.
The center has established and operates a molecular biology teaching laboratory and bioinformatics laboratory where students receive training and perform individual projects.
Master and Ph.D. students from the center participated in the STRIP grants provided the Skoltech Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
The Center spearheaded Skoltech-UMNIK program that combines admission to our Master program with UMNIK contest, which allows student to engage in innovation/entrepreneurial activity from day one.
The center places master and Ph.D. students for individual summer industry immersion programs.
Our work on discovery of new genome editing tools has resulted in a joint PTA application with MIT.
PCT application No. PCT/US2016/038258, filed June 17, 2016, title “NOVEL CRISPR ENZYMES AND SYSTEMS”
PCT Application No. PCT/US2016/038238, filed June 17, 2016, title “NOVEL CRISPR ENZYMES AND SYSTEMS”